Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Halong Bay

Whoops I've been slacking in the posting. The move out of Boston was a bit hectic plus I've been a pretty lazy since arriving in Austin - deciding between driving and shipping my car to Cali... oh decisions.

Anyway, here are some pics from Halong Bay. This is in Northern Vietnam. It's where the royalty used to go and vacation. Like many tourists, we booked a boat tour, where they drive you out into the bay and then you stay overnight on the boat. They're made to look like the traditional junk boats, even though most of them are pretty modern. My friend freaked out when she first read our itinerary and found that our boat was called the Bai Tho Junk, but then I assured her all of them were called junk. Fortunately, we even got upgraded. Our boat was brand new and very nice. Only downside is the A/C was not as strong as I like at times, but overall great boat. The second downside was they kept on trying to make our meals fancy French or Franco-inspired, but they didn't quite have it down. Some of it was pretty hard to enjoy eating.

It's gorgeous out there... there are limestone rocks jutting out and it's all around very scenic.