This weekend I went on a retreat with Intervaristy Christian Fellowship for the Boston Area Graduate Schools. HBS had the largest group showing with 34 people attending; it was a great opportunity to meet some other classmates and get to know people better. It was also extremely relaxing because I didn't do any schoolwork the whole time! It was the perfect time for a retreat since we had another 3-day weekend because of Columbus Day. Since they make us work for our long weekends, this past week really kicked my butt with extra projects and meetings. I was exhausted by the time Friday came around and so thankful for a break.Highlights of the retreat included a gorgeous, warm Saturday afternoon. It was in the high 80's - crazy right? - and we had a speed kickball tourney between the different grad schools. The whole tourney was hysterical because the stereotypical business school student competitive nature came out. Not that we were mean or poor sports, but we definitely wanted to win. I don't know if the other schools took it as seriously but we definitely huddled up and identified the weak links as well as the star players on the other team so that we knew where to kick. I have to admit, I didn't do much to help our team since I didn't play much, but I was at least 1-0 at bat (or bowl?). Normally I feel a little bad about being competitive when everyone else is just there to have fun, but I was definitely amused at how everyone else was just as into it.
Alas, we proved that competitive spirit does make a difference since we won the tourney - apparently, HBS has been the reigning champs at this retreat for the last 5 years.Overall, the retreat was extremely relaxing and a good break away from the madness of school. They built in a lot of 'quiet time' time for us so it me gave a chance to sit and reflect on the last month or so. It's so easy to get wrapped up in crazy school mode that you forget what you want to get out of the school experience versus just trying to keep up with everyone else.
3 comments:
Glad to hear that you had an opportunity to relax, renew, and reflect. Fall colors are so pretty and do not exist in Austin. The weather is still in the 90's. It is not fall soccer weather.
- Flora
kickball is cool. :)
glad you were able to have some R&R this past weekend!
so glad that you're able to bring your "sporty" spice to the retreat. even more important, it looks like you are building alot of new relationships!
Post a Comment