Saturday, September 1, 2007

The First Few Days

I'm blessed to have a friend like Sharon who offered to help me move in. Especially since I was feeling apprehensive about the move; with her around the first few days, it felt a lot more like a vacation than moving to a new city.

Day 1: Our first full day, we had a late start but managed to see plenty of sights. We took the T to the Downtown Crossing stop. After walking to the Chinatown area to have a filling meal, we walked back to the Downtown Crossing area. We did a little shopping, and I scored my first deal in Boston at Filene's Basement. It's kind of like Ross but with nicer brands and on a larger scale; even better, they were moving the store's location so there was a store-wide sale. I managed to find some Lucky Brand Jeans capris that were originally $80. After the discount, it came out to $9.99 since they don't have any sales tax on clothes. Isn't that a steal of a deal?

After shopping, we walked over to Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall where we looked at shops and had an extremely overpriced smoothie snack. We then head over the the Hatch Shell Auditorium where we enjoyed a funky free concert. The auditorium is great since it's outdoors in a park along the Charles. I am loving the weather here - it's a great break from the heat.

Afterward, we headed back to Cambridge for a delicious meal at Cafe of India. It was a filling meal and a great end to a full, touristy day. The only downside is we didn't bring a camera so I don't have any photos. :(

3 comments:

sharerie said...

yes, i agree it felt like being on vacation =) it's still surreal to me that you'll be there for the WHOLE semester until december!

Pfeng said...

mmmm...is the boston chinatown any good? better than NY's chinatown?

FP said...

it was ok - i think nyc probably has a better one since it's prob bigger, but still good.